Health and Social Well-Being
Health and social well-being is a department in IRCK that tends to build capacity of religious leaders and congregations to address maternal neonatal child health, improved nutrition, HIV/AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health issues enhanced.
Religious leaders at the national and county levels are supported to identify and respond to health policy gaps and also Community health monitoring, evaluation, learning and documentation structures within IRCK are strengthened.
Health has various programme areas and they include:
Water and Sanitation
Religious leaders and congregations capacity to address issues of water and sanitation within their localities enhanced and Religious leaders capacity to identify, review and address policy gaps in safe drinking water and safe solid waste disposal at county level strengthened.
Social Protection of Vulnerable groups
Religious leaders empowered to articulate issues on social protection of vulnerable groups (UNCRC, Children’s Act 2001, Health Laws, Sexual offences Act and Anti- Trafficking bill among others) and Religious leaders supported to advocate for social protection of vulnerable groups..
To promote provision of improved health services with a special focus on community health, WASH. social protection of women and children.
Interfaith Response to Covid-19
Inter-Religious Council of Kenya is partnering with African Council for Religious Leaders (ACRL) and the Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) to create community awareness particularly within the informal settlements of Kenya, rural communities in high prevalence/vulnerable counties and the country at large.
Health and Social Well -being Strategies
- Capacity building of religious leaders to effectively intervene on high impact health indicators in their congregations and communities.
- Advocacy for development, review and implementation of sound health policies at national and county levels and adoption of appropriate behavior change in the community.
- Partnerships, Networking and alliance building with like-minded partners.
- Evidence based research, monitoring, evaluation and documentation on the focus areas.
- Improved nutrition, WASH, HIV/AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health indicators in target counties.
- Improved health outcomes of participating congregations and communities in terms of accessibility, affordability, quality and equity.
- Sustainable, funding, partnerships and networks on heath and well being Studies, Lessons learnt and best practices documented and disseminated.